Twos come second to experienced Ipplepen outfit

Ipplepen III 191 for 3 Dartington & Totnes 2nd XI 118 all out.

Ipplepen (19 points) beat D&T (3points) by 73 runs

The seconds came up a very experienced Ipplepen side with several Devon senior players in their ranks.   Ipplepen were fielding a strong batting line-up and, upon winning the toss, had no hesitation about batting first.  We bowled well to restrict them to just 61 at the half way stage of their innings but then let them get away in the second half of the innings.  We looked like we might chase down the total but collapsed from 76 for 2 to 118 all out.  Man of the match Steve Harris followed up his unbeaten half century by blowing away our batsmen in a devastating spell, taking 8 for 16.

Earlier, we had got off to a good start in the first over when Steve Mudge, who bowled a tight opening spell, produced a fine delivery to bowl Jeff Heath.   We had to wait another 22 overs before another wicket fell.   Opener Andy Maynard had scored a century the previous week and was batting confidently and looking to keep the score ticking over.   Gavin soon joined the attack and, along with Mudgey and then Mick , kept Ipplepen tied down but our bowlers were unable to get a breakthrough.

We were keen to remove Maynard but unfortunately wasted two good opportunities, both off Mick’s bowling.  Firstly he top edged a ball which came down between slip and gully but nobody took ownership of until it was too late and the chance went begging and a later chance to long on wasn’t held.  Mick (1 for 22), finally took a wicket, in somewhat comical circumstances, when Tom Cooper missed the ball and overbalanced and Paul Taylor stumped him for 15- 70 for 2 after 23 overs.

Maynard tried to up the run rate and was finally out for 52 after flashing at a delivery from Josh Orrall which Tom Petherick brilliantly caught, one handed, at slip.   109 for 3 after 30 overs.   At this point we were hoping to restrict their opponents to below 150 but it was not to be as the last 10 overs went for 82 runs.   Josh said it was the first time he’d bowled in a match for 2 years but you wouldn’t have guessed this as he bowled well and with good pace and was unlucky not to take further scalps. However, we were unable to force another breakthrough.   Harris 52 not out and skipper Boon, 33 not out added 82 for the fourth wicket with Ipplepen’s total boosted by 39 extras- mostly wides.

After a good tea, supplied by Keith, PT and  Tom opened the batting and were relatively untroubled until PT was bowled by Borlase for an unlucky 13, with the score on 38.   Josh and Tom were going well and the fifty came up after 11 overs with us well up with the required run rate.   Tom was then run out for 18, but I didn’t see this as I was rolling the new nets and talking to Terry King.  Josh and Glenn were looking good, but with the introduction of Harris into the attack, the rot set in.  Slow bowler Harris struck in his first over catching and bowling Josh for 26 and then bowled Glenn for 25 in his second over.   The guileful Harris took all the remaining wickets as the rest of our batsmen made sorry processions back to the pavilion.  Only Keith put up any resistance, batting doggedly for 8.



Comments are closed.