Another strong performance from the Second XI

D&TCC II 241 for 3, Abbotskerswell III 136 all out

D&TCC 20 points, Abbots 4.

Jon Perkin with 96 not out and John Allenbrook with 55 led yet another strong batting display from our second XI.  

Put in to bat John and David Carter got us off to a steady start against Abbot’s youthful opening bowlers.   Both were batting confidently and relatively untroubled and DC’s dismissal was caused by a stroke of bad luck when a shooter from Vickery trapped him lbw for 15.   36 for 1 after ten overs.

The in-form Jon Perkin joined John and the pair put on 90 for the second wicket, batting us into a very strong position.  John hit ten fours in a confident knock and by the time he was bowled by Roberts the scoring rate was up to five an over and we were on 123 with fifteen overs remaining.    Jon impressed with shots all around the wicket, including some delicately steered glances to the third man boundary.   In addition to 11 fours his running between the wicket was first class.  

The scene was perfectly poised to Scott Colegate to up the tempo and he didn’t disappoint with a quickfire 30 including the only six of the match.   Jon also upped his run rate and the pair added sixty in nine overs before Scott was stumped off the final ball of an over from Paul Mitchell, which has already gone for 14 runs.    

Abbots must have felt they were dealing with Medusa, as no sooner had they got rid of Scott when up popped another Colegate, as Glenn strode to the crease.   Another Colegate would have followed but Neil didn’t pad up and anyway there was no need for him since Glenn was 17 not out.  We added 58 runs in the last six overs- just what the doctor ordered! Jon was left just short of his ton and his second team average is now 93.5.   Heady days.

When we took to the field there was a chilly wind blowing, which lifted off the bails several times, and rain wasn’t far away.   Abbots’ veteran openers, Shepherd and Mitchell, were soon showing their experience and got Abbots off to a quick start, punishing any inaccurate delivery from our opening bowlers, Alex and DC.    DC worked up a good pace and found the edge of the bat several times without the ball going to hand.   Our total wasn’t looking quite so impregnable but the introduction of Scott (3 for 35) changed the game.   In his second over, with the score on 51, he trapped Shepherd lbw for 15 with a slower delivery.   In his fourth over he went one better.    Mitchell, on 35, hit the ball high towards the long-on boundary where, despite the ball swirling in the wind, Phil judged the catch to perfection.   Two balls later Harradine-Cole smashed a shot at Hamish at short mid wicket.  Stopping the ball alone would have been a fine achievement but Hamish parried and then caught the ball- to the batsman’s astonishment.

Roberts (12) was showing plenty of aggressive intent for Abbots and looking dangerous but he perished to the last delivery of DC’s spell.  DC picked up a deserved wicket when Simon took another marvellous catch, diving forwards at point, cutting his finger and taking the skin off both elbows in the process.   Umpire Steve Mudge led him off the pitch for treatment, one of several forays Steve made.

It had been getting increasingly dark and the weather then intervened with sixteen overs bowled- not enough to constitute a match, which requires 20 overs.   It was pretty miserable and some of us got more drenched putting the covers on.   Fortunately, the sky cleared and we only lost about 20 minutes.  Abbots were very sporting about going back out again to finish off the match.

After the re-start our bowlers had a wet ball to contend with.   Cowdry had been giving the ball some good whacks to leg but he perished trying the same shot again and Mick bowled him for 14.   94 for 5 after 20 overs.   Mick picked up a second wicket when Cooper Catley (14) skiied the ball towards mid-on and Jon had to backpedal a long way to take yet another fine catch.

Phil (4 for 8) polished of the last four batsmen in just 2.1 overs!  In his first over he trapped Black plum lbw for a duck.  In his second he bowled Abbots skipper, Graham Catley (19) and also ended a plucky innings from young Harry Vickery, bowling him for 10.   Phil need just one delivery in his third over to finish off the match, having Hartley caught for a duck by Jon.

If our catching had been as good throughout the season we would be second in the table at this stage.  There had been four outstanding catches and after the game Steve adjudicated for the ‘Catch of the Match’ and decided this should go to Simon.  Somewhat harshly he ruled out Hamish because he’d taken two attempts!   Jon was voted ‘Man of the Match’ for a fine knock and two catches.

It was great to have an umpire again and Steve said he would be happy to umpire next week provided he got sufficient mention in the match report.   Is that enough of a mention for you Steve- or perhaps you’d like to pen your own?

Comments are closed.