Seconds restrict Ashes to 125 for 9 before washout

Jarvs continued with his 100% tossing success rate and inserted Ashburton.  Ashes got off to a decent start with Cock and Marshall putting on 33 before Cock was run out for 22, after a Nikheel misfield induced the basmen to run, only for Gareth to whip the ball in to PT and after an age the umpire raised his finger.  Pete Glen continued his good form taking 3 for 41 in a fine 13 over spell.  Gareth came into the attack and it seemed his bad luck was continuing when in his first over PT, moving backwards, couldn’t hang on to a skied shot with Nikheel possibly better placed.  Suddenly Gareth’s luck turned with 2 wickets in his third over as he bowled Pucknell and Crouch.  Ashes were 77 for 7 with 20 0vers remaining and it seemed they would struggle to make 100.  Gareth (2 for 27)  bowled a fast spell.  Edges flew through the slips and it was hard for our fielders to hang on to them.

Lambert (18 not out),  and Andy Harvey dug in and put on 37 for the 8th wicket before Ollie bowled Harvey for 18.  Ollie Perkins bowled v well  taking 1 for 5 in a 4 over spell.

Liam Cotton then bowled Jessneys-112 for 9.  Cottonalso  bowled very well, taking 1 for 17 in ten overs.  However, we couldn’t prise the young number 11 out in the remaining 5 overs and Ashes just scraped another bonus point.

The ball was moving around  and scoring runs wasn’t easy.  PT was dropped at point cutting and Jarvs was dropped by keeper, Cock, who later made no mistake as Jarvs was given out caught behind.  However, Jarvs had not hit the ball and he stood amazed as the umpire raised his finger.  (The umpire later apologised!) The noise was his bat hitting the ground.  This was a huge blow which was compounded when Nikheel set off for 2 which never seemed on the cards and was run out by a direct hit from young Causey.  PT, who’s been in good touch, was lbw to Harvey for 8- 21 for 3.  Gareth and Zac were doing ok though. The ground had been shrouded in mist, which had occasionally turned to drizzle.  The forecast rain picked up momentum, soon making play impossible and that was that.  It might have been a very close finish- but we’ll never know.


Comments are closed.